K-1 Finance Visa

This is the official US Immigration Organization web site. 

This page is to prepare your Adjustment of Status (Form I-485).
Please make sure you do not register with any other site that poses as the US Immigration Organization. To make sure you register with the US Immigration, check that US Immigration Organization is written at the top of the browser.Please also note that US Immigration Organization never accepts credit card payments. Only check payments online or via the mail are available.

 Beware of Immigration Scams: It came to our attention that there are a lot of companies charging between $900.00-2600.00 (1070.00 processing fee not included), while the actual preparation price with the US Immigration Organization is $1070.00.

Important: You cannot apply for Adjustment of Status in local USCIS office. You must submit your application by mail.


Adjustment of Status The Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) permits the change of an individual’s immigration status while in the United States from nonimmigrant or parolee (temporary) to immigrant (permanent) if the individual was inspected and admitted or paroled into the United States and is able to meet all required qualifications for a green card (permanent residence) in a particular category. The common term for a change to permanent status is “adjustment of status.”

The INA provides an individual two primary paths to permanent resident status. Adjustment of status is the process by which an eligible individual already in the United States can get permanent resident status (a green card) without having to return to their home country to complete visa processing.

Consular processing is an alternate process for an individual outside the United States (or who is in the United States but is ineligible to adjust status) to obtain a visa abroad and enter the United States as a permanent resident) This pathway is referred to as “consular processing” (see the link to the left).

An Application to Adjust Status to Permanent Resident is made by K-1 visa holders who have entered U.S. and married their K-1 sponsor. The application is made on Form I-485. Other supporting forms and documents are also required.

Get your application to adjust status after coming to the U.S. on K-1 Visa

Once your fiancé (e) has entered the United States you must get married within 90 days of your fiancé(e)’s arrival in the United States. Once the marriage takes place your spouse must file Form I-485 Adjustment of Status with United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) office. The spouse who is a U.S. citizen must complete and file the affidavit of support, with the fiancé’s form I-485 application to become a lawful permanent resident. Upon approval of the I-485 adjustment of status application you will be granted a conditional status green card. A conditional green card requires that you and your spouse must apply together and file form I-751 to remove conditions on green card within 90 days before your two year anniversary of your conditional green card being issued for permanent residency.

Steps for Adjustment of Status

1. Determine Your Basis to Immigrate The first step in the adjustment of status process is to determine if you fit into a specific immigrant category . Most immigrants become eligible for a green card (permanent residence) through a petition filed on your behalf by a family member or employer. Others become permanent residents through first obtaining refugee or asylum status, or through a number of other special provisions.

2. File the Immigrant Petition 3. Check Visa Availability
You may not file your Form I-485 until a visa is available in your category. If an immigrant visa is currently available to you, you may be able to apply for permanent residence status on Form I-485.

IMPORTANT: if you can see the “Start my application” button in this page there are available VISAs.

4. File Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residency or Adjust Status
Regardless of whether a petition must be filed and approved prior to your filing Form I-485 or whether it may be filed concurrently, you will need to apply for permanent residence on Form I-485 at the appropriate time.

Note: There are a few categories which may require a different form than Form I-485.

Before you are allowed to begin preparing the Adjustment of Status Application filling, you will have to take 5 minutes questionnaire to confirm your eligibility.

When filing Form I-485 is complete, you must read the instructions provided carefully and submit all required documentation and evidence required for your particular category. Failure to do so may result in your application being delayed or possibly denied for failure to establish that you are eligible to adjust status. Instructions will not be available until payment is submitted from United States Immigration Organization.

5. Go to your Application Support Center appointment (fingerprints)
After you file your application, you will be notified to appear at an Application Support Center for biometrics collection, which usually involves having your picture and signature taken and being fingerprinted. This information will be used to conduct your required security checks and for eventual creation of a green card, employment authorization (work permit) or advance parole document.

6. Go to your interview (if applicable)
You may be notified of the date, time, and location for an interview at a USCIS office to answer questions under oath or affirmation regarding your application. You must attend all interviews when you receive a notice.

When you come to your interview, you (and the family member that filed the Form I-130 petition on your behalf, if applicable) must bring originals of all documentation submitted with this application including passports, official travel documents, and Form I-94 regardless if they are expired.

Not all applications require an interview. USCIS officials will review your case to determine if it meets one of the exceptions.

7. Get you final decision in the mail
After all paperwork has been received, interviews conducted (if necessary), security checks completed, and other eligibility requirements reviewed, your case will be ready for a decision by USCIS. In all cases, you will be notified of the decision in writing.

The granting of permanent residency is generally recorded as the date that you became a permanent resident. Refugees and certain humanitarian parolees (e.g. Cuban, Lautenberg) will have their date of adjustment of status recorded as that of their entry into the United States as a refugee. Asylees, whether the principal filer or his/her derivatives, will have their date of adjustment recorded as 1 year prior to the date of being granted permanent residence.

Change of Address

You must advise USCIS of a change of address. To update your address, please click here.
Please note: failure to update your address with USCIS is illegal.

Appeal a Denial

If your application for adjustment of status is denied, your decision notice will let you know your appeal rights. Not every decision can be appealed. Generally, if your decision can be appealed, you must file the appeal within 30 days of the service of the decision. You may also be able to file a Motion to Reopen or Reconsider. Both appeals and motions are filed on Form I-290B, Notice of Appeal or Motion.
You can call at 866-558-3334 to prepare the Form I-290B, Notice of Appeal or Motion.
The preparation fee is $630.00, and can be paid by major credit or debit card.

Definition of Key Terms

These key terms are highlighted in blue on this page to help clarify the application process.

K-1 Visa
A visa issued to foreign nationals who are engaged to be married to a U.S. citizen sponsor

K-1 Sponsor
A U.S. citizen who sponsors a foreign national for a K-1 visa so that they can get married in the U.S.

Application to Adjust Status to Permanent Resident The process by which a foreign national applies for a Green Card from inside the U.S.

Green Card
Lawful Permanent Resident Status

Immigrant Visa
The document issued by a foreign consulate that allows the bearer to enter the U.S. in “Immigrant Status.” The bearer becomes a Lawful Permanent Resident upon entry into the U.S.